Play activities to support literacy
1. Read together.
2. Listen to an audiobook.
3. Use a box to make a puppet theatre and retell a story.
4. Verbally share family stories from recent and distant past.
5. Verbally share stories about your own childhood.
6. Sing favourite songs.
7. Make up a story, real or make believe. Tell that story aloud, or write it down and illustrate it.
8. Staple half-sheets of paper together to create a simple DIY journal. Draw, write, or use stickers to create stories.
9. Use chalk outdoors to write letters, names, or words.
10. Say a word. See how many words you can think of that rhyme with that word.
11. Clap to count the syllables in the names of the people in your family.
12. Say a word. See how many words you can think of that start with the same sound as that word.
13. Say a word. Clap, stomp, or jump to count how many syllables are in the word. Repeat with different words.
14. See how many things you can find in your home that start with the /a / sound. Repeat with the other sounds.
15. Use markers or crayons to write your name (or letters, shapes, words, etc) in a rainbow of colors.
16. Brainstorm a list of foods you like to eat.
17. Look out the window. Make a list of all the things you can see.
18. Make a card for someone in your family.
19. Write a letter to someone.
20. Call someone to talk on the phone.